Most of the people suffers from back pain.90 % of American suffering from back pain.it is second most disease after common cold.Back pain is not disease, it is symptom may occur from different process.
CAUSES FOR BACK PAIN :
- common cause for back pain is injury to the muscles ,bones nerves of the spine
- degeneration of the vertebral bones , discs known as lumbar spondylosis.spondylosis occurs due to loosing moisture in central portion of the disc known as nucleus pulposum.
- disc herniation:nerve root syndromes are those that produce nerve compression due to herniation /bulging of the disc developed due to degeneration,or over strain or due to injury.disc prolapsed pushes against the nerve root.
- Infections of the spine ex osteomylitis,tb spine
- Cauda equine syndrome: It is a medical emergency where the spinal cord is directly compressed.this causes possible loss of sensation , paralysis ,bladder disfunction.
- Congenital anomalies ex scoliosis,defect in spine curvature,spina bifida.
- ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS.
- Tumours of the Spine
OTHER CAUSES WHICH REFERS BACK PAIN
- Kidney Stones
- Pelvic Inflammatory diseases
RISK FACTORS FOR BACK PAIN
- Age above 50 yrs ,as age advances degeneration of discs will be there, causes back pain
- People who do not exercise.
- Over strain like lifting wts,bending , sitting for long hours.
- Over Weight or Obesity.
- People who do not maintain proper posture in their daily activities .
- People who do not take proper diet like low calcium low vitamin-D.
- Women after child birth/ pregnancy
SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS OF BACK PAIN
- Pain in lower portion of the spine
- Pain may radiate down the front back of the leg due herniated disc . this condition called as sciatica pain.this condition called as radiculopathy
- Numbness in leg.
- In severe compression of spinal cord /spinal canal stenosis neurological symptoms seen this condition called as myelopathy
- Myelopathy we see paralysis of the limb,bladder dysfunction leads to incontinence of urine and stool
- Difficulty in walking
MANAGEMENT IN CHRONIC BACK PAIN
- Avoid overstrain like lifting weights, bending forward
- Maintaning good posture during daily activities
- Avoid travelling for long distances
- Wearing lumbo sacral belt which gives support to the back
- Applying hot cool pads over the pain area.
- Taking proper diet rich in vitamin sd, calcium ,vitamin b12 , omega 3 fatty acids.
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINES FOR BACK PAIN
- RHUSTOX : violent pain in back as if broken, pains cold damp weather , bed in, pains are relieved by movement ,pressure hot applications
- RUTA :pain in nape , back , loins.back ache is better by pressure lying on back.acts upon periosteum,cartlages.
- HYPERICUM:usefull in compressed injuries punctured wounds.pain in spine due to concussion,injury to coccyx.jerking twitching of muscle. Usefull in radiculopathy,myelopathy.spinal canal stenosis,disc compression
- CALC FLOUR :pain in lower part of the back,fullness burning pain. Pains due to early degeneration , caries necrosis of the discs.pains after operations.tendency to form adhesions, tumours in spine. INDICATED IN SPINAL TUMOURS,LUMBAR SPONDYLOSIS,ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS.
- NUX VOMICA: burning pain in back 3 to 4 am
Cervico brachial neuralgia,touch Must sit up in order to turn in bed.
- KALI CARB :sharp stitching pains.back feels stiff , weak, burning pain sweat over back.pain from hip to knee. Pains cool climate.SUITED TO BACK PAIN IN PREGNANCY
- GUIACUM :chief action on fibrous tissue, adopted to rheumatism, gout Stiffness in back , lower limbs.stiffnewss in neck sore shoulder .left sided sciatica.pains motion , cool climate,touch.
- GAULTHERIA :suited to sciatica , neuralgic pains.neuralgia associated with gastralgia.
- GNAPHALIUM:sciatica associated with numbness.rt sided sciatica. Back pain >resting on back
- CAUSTICUM:stiffness between shoulders , dull pain in neck, lt sciatica with numbness.contraction of tendons.unsteady walking
- SEPIA :weakness in small of back restless in all limbs,back pain before menses Back pain associated with pelvic inflamtory diseases.