Eczema is a generic term that defines inflammatory conditions of the skin that includes dryness and recurring skin rashes. A medical condition in which patches of skin become rough and inflamed with blisters which cause itching and bleeding.Most people can effectively manage their disease with medical treatment and by avoiding irritants. The condition is not contagious and can’t be spread from person to person. It is also called as “dermatitis”.
Causative factors for Eczema:
The exact cause of eczema is unknown, but it’s thought to be linked to an overactive response by the body’s immune system to an irritant.In addition, eczema is commonly found in families with a history of otherallergies or asthma.
The most common eczema causes and triggers.
Dry skin: It can easily become brittle, scaly, rough, or tight, which can lead to an eczema flare up.<./p>
Irritants: Some natural substances that can cause skin to burn and itch, or become dry and red. Ex: Hand and dish soap, laundry detergent, shampoo, bubble bath and body wash cleaners and disinfectants etc.
Stress: Emotional stress is known to be associated with eczema.
Uranium nitricum: Uranium Nitricum is a chief diuretic remedy. There is copious urination with incontinence of urine. It is indicated in glycosuria with increased urination, emaciation and tympanites. Uranium Nitiricum also helps in enuresis, the patient is unable to retain urine without pain. Burning in urethra, with very acid urine. There is a tendency to great emaciation, debility and general dropsy. Causes glycosuria and increased urine. Is known to produce nephritis, diabetes, degeneration of the liver, high blood pressure and dropsy. Its therapeutic keynote is Great emaciation, debility and tendency to ascites and general dropsy. Backache and delayed menses. Dry mucous membranes and skin.
Infections: Eczema can become infected with bacteria or viruses that live in the environment. Examples: Staphylococcus aureus, Molluscum virus, Herpes virus, certain kinds of fungus are other common triggers for infection.
Stress: Some people report that emotional stress can also make their eczema symptoms flare up.
Types of Eczema:
1. Atopic dermatitis: This is the most common form of eczema. It often affects people who also have asthma or hay fever and family history of eczema.
2. Contact dermatitis:There are two types of contact dermatitis:
- Irritant contact dermatitis
- Allergic contact dermatitis
These types of eczema can develop after a substance damages the skin. These include chemicals and frequent hand washing.
3. Dyshidrotic eczema:This type of eczema affects the hands and feet. This eczema may become chronic and painful.
4. Neurodermatitis:People with this type of eczema develop skin irritation in spots that they frequently scratch out of habit.
5. Nummular eczema:This type of eczema more often affects men than women. Nummular dermatitis causes coin-shaped red marks. The marks appear most often on the:
6. Seborrheic dermatitis:This type of eczema is better known as dandruff. In infants, it affects the scalp. In adults, it also often affects these areas like eyebrows, sides of the nose, behind the ears, groins, center of chest. Seborrheic dermatitis causes skin to fall off in flakes.
- Itching: The itching can be intense. The damage to the skin duringeczema is often due to scratching.
- Scaling: The surface of the skin can flake off, giving the skin a rough, scaly appearance.
- Redness: The affected skin may bleed and appear blotchy.
- Fluid-filled blisters: These can ooze and form crusts.
- Cracking: Severely affected skin may develop painful, deep cracks, also called fissures.
How to diagnose an Eczema?
Depending on the cause, eczema may flare up and cause severe symptoms. But it can also become a chronic problem with less intense symptoms.While there are no tests to determine eczema, most often doctor can tell if it’s eczema by looking at the skin and by asking a few questions about allergies.Since many people with eczema also have allergies, doctor may perform allergy tests to determine possible irritants or triggers. Children with eczema are especially likely to be tested for allergies.
How Homeopathy helps to cure an Eczema?
Homeopathic remedies frequently relieve or eradicate eczema. They are safe to use with babies through to the elderly. Many different remedies can be used depending on the symptoms of the sufferer. Eczema is a chronic complaint that should have the careful management of a trained Homeopath.The core wisdom of the body is to push illness from a more vital to less important tissue. Thus, though eczema is a completely curable with Homeopathy medicines. Simultaneously clearing up associated allergies or overall immune weakness, if eczema co-exists or alternates with asthma or hay fever, merely treating the skin will not resolve the whole syndrome.
Commonly indicated Homeopathic remedies:
Mezerium:This is one of the best remedies for Eczema. Violent itching; smarting, crawling, but parts feels cold, as if cool breeze.Acrid oozing, forms hard, thick crusts with pus under them or white scabs, matting the hair. Intense burning after scratching. Eczema after vaccines.Scalp, margins of hair, face, lids, eyebrows, hands and feet, cracked lips.
Nat Mur: Small itchy blisters with corrosive fluid, skin becomes red, raw, inflamed.Margins of hair; bends of joints, behind ears. Dry flaky crusts form after.Craves salt, thirsty. Greasy, oily hair. Dry skin in general. Eczema from suppressed emotion, inner grief.
Graphites:Red itching pimples with oozing of honey like liquid, which crusts over.Infects and scars easily, heals slowly. Patches on scalp, hairline, behind ears, genitals, back of hands, palms, skin folds.Thickened skin. Deep cracks in fingers, heels, etc. nails thick.
Arsenicum Album: Intense itching. Turns to burning when scratches till raw, when burning stops, itching returns. Skin dry as paper. Flaking. Pussy. Small vesicles.Eczema worst on uncovered parts or areas. Patient is restless, anxious, worried about health, death, security, picky and miserly.