POLY CYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME is a set of symptoms due to elevated androgens(male hormones)in female
SIGNS AND SYMPOTOMS
- PCOS includes irregular or no menstrual periods or heavy periods ,excess body and facial hair ,acne,pelvic pain,difficulty getting pregnancy and patches of thick darker velvety skin.
- Associated conditions include type 2 diabetes ,obesity ,obstructive sleep apnea,heart disease,mood disorder and endometrial cancer.
- PCOS is due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors
RISK FACTORS includes obesity,lack of physical exercise and family history of PCOS
- Treatment may involves lifestyle changes,such as weight loss and exercise
- PCOS is the most common endocrine disorder among women between the ages of 18-44
- Most common cause of infertility is PCOS.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- MENSTRUAL DISORDERS :PCOS mostly produce oilgomenorrhoea (fewer than 9 menstrual periods in a year)or amenorrhoea(no menstruation for 3-4 consecutive months) even it may produce hypermenorrhoea(heavy and prolonged menstrual periods).
- INFERTILITY : results directly from chronic anovulation
- HIGH LEVELS OF MASCULINIZING HORMONE known as hyperandrogenism,the most common signs are acne and hirsutism(male patternof hair groeth on chin and chest)
- ANDROGENIC ALOPECIA(Hair thinning or diffuse hair loss)
- METABOLIC SYNDROME tendency towards central obesity associated with insulin resistance.