Acidity: Acidity is one of the most common diseases that causes heart burn in the upper gastro intestinal tract. Acidity can be a result of inappropriate dietary regimen or stress. It is a problem which when left unattended to, results in peptic ulcer and other complications.It is quite a simple problem when it begins, but it can get out of hand easily if not taken critically. It means the excess secretion of hydrochloric acid by the gastric glands of the stomach.
Causative factors for acidity:
- Consumption of spicy and non-vegetarian foods
- Smoking and alcohol
- Stomach ailments like peptic ulcers, gastro-esophageal reflux disease, stomach tumors, etc.
- Medications like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
The main symptoms of acidity :
- Dyspepsia and heartburn
- Discomfort, burning sensation in the upper part of the gut area, especially after eating.
- Regurgitation of the gastric contents
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea & vomiting
- Feeling of Sickness
- Flatulence accompanied by burpings
How Is Acidity/Acid Reflux Disease Diagnosed?
Symptoms such as heartburn is the key to the diagnosis of acid reflux disease, especially if lifestyle changes, antacids, or acid-blocking medications help to reduce these symptoms.If these steps don’t help or if you have frequent or severe symptoms, your doctor may order tests to confirm a diagnosis and check for other problems. You may need one or more tests such as these:
- Barium swallow can check for ulcers or a narrowing of the esophagus.
- Esophageal manometry can check the function of the esophagus and lower esophageal sphincter.
- pH monitoring can check for acid in your esophagus. The doctor inserts a device into your esophagus and leaves it in place for 1 to 2 days to measure the amount of acid in your esophagus.
- Endoscopy can check for problems in your esophagus or stomach.
- A biopsy may be taken during endoscopy to check samples of tissue under a microscope for infection or abnormalities.
How Homoeopathy helps for Acidity?
Homeopathy can be of great help for those who do not show much improvement even after lifestyle modifications. Homeopathic medicines are apt in treating acute episodes of the heartburn; but for treating acidity permanently, constitutional treatment is required. This kind of treatment is a holistic approach and the prescription is based at the detailed physical and mental analysis of the Homeopathic medicines will help decrease acidic build-up, rebalance pH by cleansing and restoring the digestive system, and strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter. Homeopathic treatment will make you feel like a new person by making you free of acid reflux, GERD(GastroEsophagealRefluxDisease)